If you are suffering from knee pain, there is no need to be afraid. The pain could be as a result of many factors, but whatever is responsible, there is a solution.
Treating knee pain at home is possible but has to be very cautious while doing so. If the pain is moderate or severe and caused by injury, seek medical attention before initiating home treatment.
Again, remember that some of the knee pains resulting from injury need special intervention or surgery to solve. For instance, if one has an extreme case of arthritis, surgery might just be the last resort.
What Causes Knee Pain?
There are different factors that cause knee pain. They include;
- Ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Knee joint dislocation
- Wear and tear due to age factors
- Weakened bone structure
- Stiffness in the knee joint due to arthritis
Treating Knee Pain Using Home-based Remedy
We have established that surgery is required for more severe cases of knee pain. But for knee pain caused by inflammation, arthritis or slight injury, the following home-based remedies can effectively take care of the condition.
Apply cold compress
Using cold compress will help to reduce pain and swelling. The blood vessels will become constricted thus lowering the amount of blood that flows to the affected area. This will not only relieve your pain but reduce swelling.
Tips to get the best result:
- Put a bunch of ice cubes in a small towel
- Place the compress (ice + towel) onto the affected area and leave for about 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice on daily basis till your knee is back to shape
Get some rest
Resting your injured knee will help you to recuperate faster. But when you move your troubled knee from place to place, you will only be inflicting more pain on yourself and straining your knee. Stressing the affected knee will make healing take time.
Tips to get better rest
- Place your knee on a platform or in a way that you will not be applying more pressure on it.
- Place a pillow under your knee. Pillow shouldn’t be too higher.
Use some ginger
Ginger is very effective for knee pain caused by muscle strain, arthritis or injury. It helps to alleviate pain. The major reason why it is effective is the anti-inflammatory compounds it contains. As a result, it can reduce swelling as well as pain on the knee.
Tips on better use of ginger
- Get fresh ginger root and crush it.
- Add a cup of water and boil for about 10 minutes
- Add lemon juice and a little bit of honey to the mixture
- Consume at least 2 or 3 cups of this tea made daily until the pain disappears
- Massage the affected area with ginger oil at least 3 or 3 times daily until you are satisfied with the result.
These processes are an effective home-based remedy for treating knee pain. But you should consult your doctor for severe cases. Some knee pain would require surgery. But for minor ones, these treatments are effective especially when applied properly. So choose anyone you find interesting to use.