Wearing eyeglasses and contact lenses can be bothersome, most especially if your job involves fieldwork, lifting, or operating complex machinery. That’s why considering undergoing a permanent solution to resolve an eye problem, like cataract or glaucoma surgery, is important.
According to a statistical report, someone goes blind every five seconds, 246 million have low vision, and about 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide. Fortunately, all these can be prevented, managed, or cured with the help of an eye surgeon. But, how do you know if an eye surgeon is competent enough to properly and effectively address your specific eye condition?
In this post, you’ll learn the best qualities of a good eye surgeon in Fort Myers, Florida.
1. Experienced In Handling Your Case
One crucial factor you have to consider when choosing a good eye surgeon is their experience. Don’t hesitate to ask the surgeon regarding the number of years they’ve spent in handling similar cases like yours.
Here are some helpful tips to help you find a good eye surgeon:
- Ask the surgeon about their certifications and specialties. Remember that some eye surgeons have specialized training in treating specific conditions and performing certain procedures. You can click here to find the best eye surgeon for you.
- Read testimonials or hear out what previous patients have to say about the eye surgeon.
- Ask if the eye surgeon is a member of respected organizations to know his reputation in the medical community.
- Consider the awards the surgeon has received, which also reflect their level of expertise.
2. Expertise In Doing Different Eye Procedures
When resolving vision problems, there are many ways to treat them. For people suffering from glaucoma or cataract, surgery can help correct the problems to improve poor vision and eventually eliminate wearing eyeglasses or contacts.
Choosing an eye surgeon who has extensive experience in performing different eye procedures will give you peace of mind knowing that your vision health is in expert hands.
Here are the common eye surgery procedures and what to expect from each:
- Laser-assisted In Situ Keratomileusis or LASIK: If you want better vision without wearing glasses or contact lenses, your eye surgeon can recommend LASIK, which is a type of refractive surgery. LASIK is an outpatient procedure that fixes problems for proper eye focus. It involves using a laser to remove corneal tissue from the eyes, which reshapes the cornea, correcting farsightedness, nearsightedness, or astigmatism.
- Photorefractive Keratectomy or PRK: This refractive eye surgery corrects farsightedness, nearsightedness, or astigmatism. The eye surgeon will use a laser so as to remove corneal cells off the surface. The procedure takes about and improves vision by 80 percent in four weeks.
3. Excellent Patient Education Skills
A good eye surgeon provides excellent patient education. Most eye patients are seniors, and people tend to have many concerns about undergoing eye surgery. An experienced eye surgeon can explain properly how a certain eye surgery procedure can help improve vision.
Two of the most common eye problems are glaucoma and cataract. Your prospective eye surgeon should be able to clearly explain how a procedure works, such as cataract surgery or glaucoma surgery, to set proper expectations and avoid unexpected issues.
Check out these things you should know about cataract surgery and glaucoma surgery:
- Cataract Surgery: Cataract makes the vision dull and blurry. During cataract surgery, the eye surgeon replaces a cloudy lens with an artificial one, which takes less than an hour.
- Glaucoma Surgery: Damage of the optic nerve and pressure build-up may result in glaucoma. If it’s left untreated, it may cause blindness. The two types of surgery for glaucoma include laser surgery and conventional glaucoma surgery. A good eye surgeon can explain the best option depending on the case of the patient.
4. Reputable And Dependable
A good eye surgeon has a foolproof good reputation when it comes to doing certain eye surgical operations. You might want to seek a referral from previous patients or from your optometrist. Also, checking online reviews is a great way to know how dependable an eye surgeon is, most especially when it comes to aftercare.
Here are the things a dependable eye doctor should keep you informed about:
- When to resume normal activities after the procedure
- Activities not allowed immediately after the surgery
- Post-operative eye care
A good eye surgeon is one who is dependable and reputable, and has excellent communication skills. A good eye surgeon has enough experience and expertise to handle similar vision problems like yours.
Also, a good eye surgeon provides excellent patient education, setting proper expectations by answering all questions and addressing all concerns.